Bryn village as a lot of other conubations of the time, only came about as a result of the industrial revolution in our case due to its coal resources. Prior to 1841 the area was predominately a farming community a census in 1841 show only 15 dwellings and a population of 111. After coal was developed, during the following ten years, there was a population explosion it increased five fold to 558 and dwellings increasing to 96.
 Initially the area would have been connected only by farm tracks with no means of 'modern' transport. (below you can see a picture that shows the only mile marker stone in the Glamorgan district that was not found on a tarmac road, the stone is the only one found in Bryn just to the west of a place called Penhydd Fawr and at SS 80572/93031 between Bryn and Pontrhydyfen), This the only through route through the area was probable a drovers route, running from Llantrisant to Neath through Bryn to Pontrydyfen and is shown on maps of the seventeenth century so must have been quite an important route through Glamorgan.It was not until 1898 that Bryn was able to enjoy a more modern mode of transport when the railway was laid from Port Talbot via Bryn and then Maesteg. Prior to this coal was transported via a dram road to Cwmavon (see railway section). With no shops in Bryn at this time locals recount the miners wives having permission to ride the drams once a week to get provisions at Cwmavon before returning once more on the drams.  
It was not until the 1920s that the main road was constructed from Port Talbot to Bryn and Maesteg. Not many people of the day would have recourse to private transport due to it still being in its infancy and the cost being prohibitive. 
 
With advances in personal transport,
one of the first means of cheap road transport was run by the The Llynfi Motor Company which offered strong competition to the railway services, which had a monopoly up to then. It had a Bus depot in Bryn, demolished in 2008. They operated a Daimler CK which cost £800 in 1924. The price of a single ticket between Maesteg and Caerau was 2d and a return to Port Talbot was 1s 2d. The Lynfi buses served the village for 60 years, upto the 1970/80s, when the last of the brothers died. It was then taken over by SWT along with Brewers. I am informed that the service continued to be operated by SWT but under the Brewers name, until it changed to First Bus probably on deregulation of the bus services. Now First Cymru operates a bus service in the village every hour. The - X3, Swansea - Maesteg Via Westlands, Port Talbot, Ynysygwas & Bryn.
These days the favored means of transport is the car which is putting a strain on public transport finances resulting in heavy subsidies having to be given to companies. However they are undergoing a resurgence with an upturn of use due to the introduction of free fares for senior citizens and the disabled, introduced about 2005 by the WELSH ASSEMBLY GOVERNMENT.